in Tamariz de Campos
|On its passing through the municipal term of
Tamariz, the Canal of Castile (Branch of Campos) has very interesting buildings and
You shouldn´t forget to take the pleasant stroll (if there are not mosquitos), by the shady border of the Canal, that takes from the 6th to the 7th sluice, passing by the aqueduct, approximately 1 km long. This was the route that followed the mules who pushed the hulls used for the grain transport.
|There are left the rest of the flour factory,
building of stone and brick, with two highs, under which it passed a Canal that served to
move the mill.
At the other side of the Canal it is the house of the lock-keeper and other dependencies.
Aqueduct of the Sequillo
Five stone arcs maintain the Canal over the Sequillo river.
It is a peculiar work of engineering, built in stone, that shows the care and interest that was put in its construction.
When crossing with the river, the Canal is slightly higher, reason why it forms in certain way a prey in which the overflow is the aqueduct itself. This does not seem to have much importance, but about 60 years ago fell a very hard storm, with great amount of water in a short time, and was created a great lagoon that arrived from the Canal to the surroundings of the town of Tamariz, becouse the eyes (openings) of the aqueduct were incapable to give exit to all the fallen water.
In the first days of the civil war (1936), the vegetation of the Canal served as a hiding place for some people persecuted by his political ideas. These places were witnesses of many anecdotes that our grandparents could tell us.
This sluice is the last one of the branch of Campos, before arriving at its completion in the dock of Medina de Rioseco.